The kitchen beauty masterclass
In the mood for a little indulgence? It’s time to raid the pantry and treat your body to some DIY beauty masks and treatments. Try these recipes and get on your way to healthier skin and hair!
Cellulite coffee body scrub
This lush-smelling scrub will help to smooth cellulite and whisk away dry, flaky skin.
1 cup coffee grounds
6 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp sea salt or sugar
You’ll also need:
dry body brush (optional)
1. Combine dry ingredients in a large measuring cup or bowl.
2. If the coconut oil is solid, melt in the microwave and add to the mixture.
3. Mix well and transfer the contents to a waterproof jar or container.
4. Before getting in the shower, use a dry body brush to exfoliate and stimulate blood flow. Brush over your entire body lightly in a circular motion, focusing on any problem areas.
5. In the shower, apply the scrub to areas with cellulite. Massage the scrub into skin using a circular motion before rinsing it off.
Coconut and lavender ingrown hair treatment
Just like blind pimples and ingrown toenails, ingrown hairs are oh-so-annoying and downright painful! Ditch ingrowns with this homemade treatment.
3 tbsp coconut oil
7 drops lavender oil
12 drops tea tree oil
1. Mix all ingredients in a small jar or bottle (preferably one that can be sealed off so you can use your mixture later).
2. Apply a small amount to affected area after shaving, waxing, or any hair removal and rub in until it begins to absorb.
Kiwi skin brightening mask
Brighten your complexion and boost radiance with this fruity mask.
2 kiwis, pureed
3 tbsp plain yoghurt
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp almond or olive oil
1. Mix pureed kiwis with yogurt, orange juice and oil until well blended.
2. Using your fingertips, apply to the entire face (avoiding the eye area).
3. Leave on until dry, then rinse well.
Lemon and cucumber spot whitener
Tackle dark spots and treat fine lines with this antioxidant-rich formula.
1. Juice two lemons and one cucumber and mix together.
2. Apply to areas where there is dark pigment and leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
Hydrating honey mask
Revive moisture-zapped locks with this deeply nourishing honey mask.
½ cup honey
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp avocado or egg yolk
1. To loosen the honey for easier application, add 1-2 tbsp olive oil.
2. Stir through 1-2 tbsp avocado or egg yolk to replenish the keratin protein bonds in your hair that UV rays attack.
3. Massage the mixture into clean, damp hair. Let it sit for twenty minutes, and then rinse off with warm water.
The mega moisture mask
Give your mane a hit of moisture and shine with this oil-rich treatment.
1/4 tsp vitamin E oil
1 tsp oil of choice (we like jojoba, olive oil, sweet almond oil or coconut oil)
1. Split an avocado, remove the seed and spoon the whole thing into a blender bowl.
2. Add a little less than 1/4 tsp vitamin E oil.
3. Add 1 tsp of your favourite oil.
4. Blend until it reaches a whipped, creamy consistency.
5. Apply all over your hair and leave on for at least ten minutes. Shampoo and condition as usual.
For the lazy lasses out there…
If you can’t be bothered or don’t have the time to make your own beautifying treats, then invest in products that contain foodie ingredients. Got a dehydrated bod? Try THIS nourishing oatmeal-enriched moisturiser. Got a thing for honey? Score luscious locks with THIS beauty. Got a parched complexion? Try THIS hydrating coconut mask.
What are you favourite DIY beauty recipes? Do you like the sound of the masks above?
Have you tried any of the products mentioned above?
Review them now to earn points that you can swap for free beauty products in RewardsRoom.