How-to: Lily Aldridge's big, sexy hair
Ah, to be a Victoria’s Secret model. Not only are you one of the most gorgeous creatures on the planet by default, you also have one of the most talented hair and make-up teams working to make you look even better still.
It’s not all that fair, is it? Just look at Lily Aldridge, in all her balayaged brilliance. Her tousled strands are the very picture of foxy femininity – and it makes me green with envy – emerald green. They’ve got the right amount of body and bounce and they’re cute enough to look totally effortless. It’s just not fair.
Don’t fret! Don’t you know you can channel your own inner supermodel by rocking locks that rival the Angels’ big, sexy hairstyles? We’ve sought out the assistance of respected Sydney Hair Stylist Dario Controneo, of the DARIO Salon in Darlinghurst, to help us with the steps to mimic Lily’s big, luscious, balayaged hair.
- Part your hair in a straight line in the middle of your head. Apply a volumising mousse (like Clairol Professional Impressive Volume Conditioning Mousse) to the hair at the crown of your head and work it through with your fingers.
- Blow-dry your hair with lots of body. Do this by bending in the ends of the hair as you blow-dry with a medium-sized brush.
- Once the blow dry is finished and your hair is still hot, separate and clip your hair into three sections: one on each side of your head going down from your middle part to behind the ears, leaving one at the back going from your crown down to your shoulders. Spritz a thermal protection spray over each section.
- Starting at the back of your head, place a medium-sized piece of hair from this section into a MYCURL roller and start horizontally winding up your hair from the ends until you reach the mid-lengths. Secure the strap.
- Continue adding the MYCURL rollers until all of your hair in the back section is secured.
- Repeat these steps to the remaining hair sections on either side of your head, ensuring you direct your rollers outwards and upwards as you roll. Leave out any fringe pieces.
- Clamp your straightener over each MYCURL roller for 10 seconds, then allow your hair to cool down (with the MYCURL roller still intact) for 15 minutes.
- While your hair is cooling, spray over the rollers with an extra strength hairspray like Aveda Brilliant Medium Hold Hair Spray.
- Blow-dry your fringe pieces forward until straight and then smooth over them once or twice with your straightener.
- Clip a business card onto each side of your fringe to keep the pieces groomed and stop them from kinking or curling.
- After your hair has cooled, remove all of the MYCURL rollers and finish with a spritz of a shine spray like Sexy Hair Big Sexy Hair Big Shine – Shine Spray before lightly brushing out your curls.
Handy hint for short-haired folk: don't have the thick hair you need to create this big 'do? Why not clip in some Hair Extensions from Lady Jayne? They add volume and length in a nanosecond - without damaging your own hair.
Stockist: MYCURL (set of six), $69.95, http://mycurl.me/products/mycurl-xl
What do you think of this hair look? Do you have tips on how to achieve big, sexy hair? Do you love Lily's effortless balayaged look?
|Does your hair colour suit your face shape?||Celeb beauty blunders: can you spot Lea's?||The beauty icon you'll want to watch...||Move over, balayage! Here's a new trend to try|